7 Healthy Alternatives to Table Salt
The truth is that there is a lot that people fail to understand about salt. It’s not necessarily bad for you. As a matter of fact, sodium is a much-needed nutrient which attributes to the overall maintenance of a good and healthy lifestyle. To sum it up, salt is an ingredient which controls the fluid balance in your body as well as the blood pressure and the way the nerves and your muscles tend to function. The problem, however, is that the salt we generally use is table salt which is iodized and refined, harboring a lot of harmful effects such as increased blood pressure, heart disease, and weight gain. That’s why below you will find 7 healthy alternatives which are much better options.
- Sea Salt. The good thing about this is that it’s not refined and it’s dense in trace minerals. The latter get absorbed in the food. There are a few different types that you can choose from, depending on the use.
- Coconut Amino Acids. The coconut sap, when blended with sea salt, is an amino-rich condiment which is going to be the perfect alternative to table
- Umeboshi Plum Vinegar. Made from the brine of pickled umeboshi plums, Umeboshi Plum Vinegar is highly beneficial. You might want to try it on steamed vegetables or in certain salad dressings in order to capture the maximum flavors and aroma.
- Tamari: Tamari is wheat-free, and it’s also the perfect substitute that’s healthy and safe.
- Nutritional Yeast: This is a great source of folic acid as well as of B-Vitamins. It’s basically de-activated yeast which is a prominent supplier of the aforementioned substances. You can use it instead of Vegans also commonly depend on it to attribute a well-scented and characteristic cheese-like flavor.
- Dulse or Kelp: These sea vegetables are capable of delivering a wide range of nutrients and minerals that could be the perfect substitutes for salty meals. Dulse is also capable of being toasted as a snack.
- Bragg’s Liquid Aminos: This is quite similar to the amino-acids in coconuts but then again, it’s something free of GMO products and quite healthy.
Now, as you can see, not all types of salt products are harmful. Not all of them are going to attribute to unwanted weight gain or elevated blood pressure. However, it’s important to stay alert, informed and also to be aware of your alternatives. This is the only way to maintain a healthy lifestyle – one that’s free of complicated conditions.